The SBS Updater is the preferred method of installing and keeping the FuseDocs products up-to-date. If you are installing FuseDocs for the first time, the SBS Updater is the best way to get started.
The SBS Updater should be installed on the system where the users typically interact with software such as Office. Usually this is a terminal services server, or Windows desktops. Once the SBS Updater is installed, FuseDocs will be automatically installed alongside it, and the updater will continue to keep FuseDocs up-to-date with the latest fixes and improvements.
This document will assist in getting the SBS Updater and the FuseDocs App/Ribbon installed on your client machine(s).
Please note that the audience of this document is the IT team looking after a particular client's software environment, and appropriate access will be required to install the updater.
Abridged Version (TL;DR)
- Download and run the SBS Install Tool, available here
- OR if your environment absolutely requires a silent, headless install, refer to the Silent Install option
The SBS Updater should be installed on each machine which requires a FuseDocs client. The installation is per-machine, so only needs to be performed once for terminal servers. If the app and updater are no longer required on a machine, they simply be uninstalled from Add / Remove Programs.
This will install the SBS Updater and depending on which version of software the client has been setup for it will perform an action for that also.
- If the firm has FuseDocsApp - the SBS Updater will install the app on this machine. FuseDocs should appear in the Start Menu.
- If the firm has FuseDocs Ribbon - it will not be automatically installed, however it can be installed through the UI. FuseDocs should appear in the Excel ribbon.
That should be all you need to do! Otherwise, please read on below for more technical information and troubleshooting if you're experiencing issues.
The SBS Updater is a Windows service which talks to our infrastructure over the Internet periodically to check for updates. If an update exists, it will be downloaded, checked for validity, and installed if nobody is using the software.
The SBS Updater can also be used to install FuseDocs App if it hasn't already been installed.
The updater assumes that Internet access is unmetered; however, updates are cached once downloaded and should only be downloaded once. A typical update is 20MB-100MB.
The updater only updates software installed locally, and must be installed on each client machine you would like to keep updated. It only needs to be installed once per machine if the machine hosts multiple users, such as a terminal services host.
Installation of the SBS Updater is simple, but you'll need a few things before going ahead:
- The SBS Install TooI, available here
- Administrative access to the machine
You shouldn't require a restart during any part of the installation, and the installation should not interrupt other users on the machine.
If your environment is particularly locked down, including requiring a proxy, please refer to the Access Requirements section. Otherwise, you should be able to follow the instructions in the Installation section.
Run the SBS Install Tool as an administrator.
When the SBS Install Tool is run, it will prompt to run the automatic installation process:
If you select Yes, it will automatically install the SBS Updater, and the FuseDocs App. This process should complete automatically, and a summary will be given in the SBS Install Tool window.
If you would like to install another product, such as the FuseDocs Ribbon, simply run Install App and click the product.
The install tool can also be run in non-interactive mode, which will automatically close once complete, by running SBSInstallTool.exe /silent
FuseDocs and SBS Updater should be able to run on any version of Windows which can install .NET 4.0 or later (Windows XP / Windows Server 2003 or later).
The system requirements for FuseDocs are:
|Operating System||Windows XP / Windows Server 2003 or later with .NET 4.0 or above installed.|
|CPU||FuseDocs will run on any CPU capable of running Windows x86/x64, but a quad-core is recommended to ensure user experience is not impacted during a FuseDocs compilation. |
|RAM||FuseDocs may utilise up to 1GB of RAM under occasional heavy load. It is highly recommended that the server has enough RAM headroom so as to not cause swapping during compilations.|
|DISK USAGE||< 200MBs|
|NETWORK USAGE||See below|
Internet and Proxy
FuseDocs and SBS Updater require access to the Internet on ports 80 and 443. Since we host our applications on cloud providers including Amazon Web Services, we cannot provide individual IP addresses.
Once installed, to set up to use a proxy:
- Navigate to %PROGRAMFILES(x86)%\Smarter Business Software\SBSUpdater
- Take a backup of SBSUpdater.exe.config
- Open SBSUpdater.exe.config in a text editor
- If you would like to use the user's default proxy (i.e. the settings set up for Internet Explorer), you shouldn't have to change anything - it will use the default proxy given to it from Windows
- If this is not working, or you would like finer control over the proxy:
- Under defaultProxy, set enabled="true"
- Enter your proxy address and port in under proxyaddress="http://someproxy:8080" in the format <http|https>://<host>:<port>
- Under useCustomProxyCredentials, set value="true"
- Set your username and password under proxyUsername and proxyPassword
- If your proxy expects a domain, uncomment the proxyDomain line (remove the "<!--" from the beginning and "-->" from the end) and set a domain value.
- Restart the SBSUpdater service (from Computer Management, or run "services.msc")
The updater requires:
- access to the HKEY LOCAL MACHINE hive of the registry
- the ability to run msiexec.exe as an administrator
- the ability to read and write to %PROGRAMFILES(x86)%\Smarter Business Software\SBSUpdater
- the ability to read and write to %TEMP%
This should all be possible under the default installation - we list these for reference in the case where environments are particularly locked down.
If your business requires a silent install, it can be performed by using the SBSUpdater MSI file with a simple batch file.
The Updater .msi is available here:
This can be installed using your preferred method (GPO, SCCM, etc).
Once installed, run the following commands from a batch file to register the license and install FuseDocs, replacing YOUR-LICENSE-GOES-HERE with your license key, available from your implementation specialist.
echo|set /p="YOUR-LICENSE-GOES-HERE" > "C:\Program Files (x86)\Smarter Business Software\SBSUpdater\license"
net start SBSUpdater
sc control SBSUpdater 129
When the install tool is run, you should immediately start getting entries in the Event Viewer for the Application event log:
If there are any errors or warnings in the Event Viewer, please review the error message and the Access Requirements section above. If you cannot determine the issue, please raise a support ticket and we will be happy to assist.